Arts, Technology and Physical Education
We at Hawthorne feel that instruction, experience and participation in the arts, physical education and technology is a vital part of a student’s education. Therefore, a wide range of activities are provided, including the following:
All Hawthorne students receive weekly instruction in the visual arts throughout the school year.
Kindergarten Visual Arts
Artist Claudette Glubka, a community volunteer, works regularly with the kindergarteners, developing projects based on their science units. Future projects will use the artist's tools of color, line and composition and masters like Picasso, Gauguin and Calder to explore science concepts such as wood, clouds and more.
Technology/Computer Specialist - Tan Le
All Hawthorne students receive instruction in technology twice weekly throughout the school year in our state of the art Computer Lab. 4th and 5th graders work on Microsoft Word and Powerpoint projects. From 1st to 5th grade, they practice typing skills via different types of educational software programs. Kindergarteners learn and practice computer basics as well. Students also explore math on the computer: Math Whizz, Study Island and Kidbiz, and MAP practicing online.
Hawthorne has brand new laptops for our students in addition to our Computer lab! And every classroom has its own computer.
- Typing Agent https://seattleschools.typingagent.com/ (need username and password to log on)
- Dance Mat Typing http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z3c6tfr (free online)
- Study Island (math/reading): http://www.studyisland.com/ (need username and password to logon)
- DreamBox: https://play.dreambox.com/login/znc2/hawthornee (need username and password to log on)
- Bitesize (math/reading): http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks1/ (free online)
- Funbrain: http://www.funbrain.com/ (free online)
- Brain games: http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/braingames/braingames.htm (free online)
- Pbs: http://pbskids.org/ (free online)
- ST Math: http://web.stmath.com/entrance/go/HAW7KJ (need username and password to log on)
- IRead: https://h100001246.education.scholastic.com/slms//studentaccess (need username and password to log on)
The Hawthorne P.E. Program is success-oriented with emphasis on skill-building, small and large groups activities, and the creation of a safe, cooperative environment. Too often, children are turned off to physical activities because they are thrown into large games with under-developed skills. They may not be successful and will seek to avoid repeat experiences.
With this in mind, the P.E. Program at Hawthorne offers a wide range of activities for students: juggling, roller skating, unicycling, throwing/catching skills, breakdancing and much more. Third through fifth graders also track their improvements and achievements in their own P.E. portfolio over the year's course. Tracking helps them set and achieve goals throughout the year.
Remember, at Hawthorne, Fun and Fitness go together!